Sunday, 31 January 2010

Dredd Unmasked

Another thread on the 2000ad message board. This time the challenge was to depict Dredd without the helmet in under 15 minutes. I did this in pencil in about 5 or 6 minutes whilst taking a break from drawing the next episode of From Below. It's a bit scrappy but it's only a sketch.

I had a go at quickly applying colour in Artrage before cleaning the image a little and combining with the colour layer in photoshop. It's still a far cry from a finished piece...
If I was going for a finished pic I'd replace the pencil layer with an ink and use additional layers in photoshop for shading and highlighting as I've only used minimal tone in Artrage. I kind o' like the pencil layer and often find I lose something in the inking. Enough distraction!



7 comments:

  1. This looks like fun. Wouldn't have minded a shot at that.

    Considering Dredd's age now i think that's a pretty good version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Alex- have a go, the thread is here:

    Dredd Unmasked

    I'm sure everyone would be made up to see your take on auld stoney fizzer with no helmet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit! That link was:
    http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,27476.0/topicseen.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep the thread is still thriving. So go for it.

    As I said there - a fine Dredd which avoids just making him look like Clint Eastwood (although if you wanted an older actor you couldn't do better) with a definite feel of Steve Dillon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Emperor- I have a liking for Steve Dillon's Dredd- ever since I first saw it on Block Mania it's been one of my faves. Any resemblance to that is unintentional- it just comes out like that, only more untidy! His is my favourite Orlock too. Dead Evil looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evil? Orlock was just misunderstood due to Mega City One propaganda.

    ReplyDelete