Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Just the Other Day, I Decided You Are Ugly and I Hate You...

So this was how far I got with the 'entry' for the forum art comp, before deciding I actually hated it and binned the idea completely...

One of the advantages of working on something for no particular reason is the ability to say 'fuck it, I hate you' and just stop- it's not a luxury you get when working on a proper project, but this piece was starting to grind me down- I was supposed to be doing it for the joy of just being able to do it again after such a long lay-off from any kind of art. It becomes self-defeating when it isn't actually enjoyable and becomes an albatross round the neck. My philosophy is usually to say "you aren't enjoying it because you know, on some sub-concious level, that it's shite; though you may not know why or what to do about it.

Anyway- I went on to start trying to apply the stuff I've recently learned about painting digitally to a page of comic art (I've nearly finished the page, I'll post it when the last panel is done) and also practising trying to polish a drawing a bit beyond sketch-level when drawing digitally- something I've always found a major problem. There was a time when I thought Manga Studio was the answer, but it so far hasn't proved to be the case- that's more likely down to me simply being much more au fait with Photoshop and finding it easier to make custom brushes and be in control of the work. I wish I could take some Manga Studio classes, because I can see from other peoples usage that it's a really good bit of software- I just can't make it do anything I want myself and it just sits on my hard drive looking at me, I'm damned sure its icon has a look of disdainful superiority on it's stupid fat face- just exactly like almost every IT 'wizard' I've ever met...Anyway- I've been drawing in photoshop and I'm getting happier with the results- this one was just worked up from one of those 'basic human head' practices I have drawn on envelopes and scraps of paper all over the house, only this time digitally- it's not done yet, there's still an eyebrow to add and I'm not sure where I'm going with the hair, as I've been pretty much making it up as I went along.
In between scribbling, I've been playing around with trying to get a watercolour look using photoshop as well. It's not too bad actually- the software definitely exceeded my expectations in that it really does look reasonably convincing as a watercolour- though the only water involved was in my coffee.
After all this dicking around with colours, I prefer the last-minute grey-scale afterthought....


The real beauty of it is that I can add to the drawing on a new layer without affecting what I've already drawn, and If I like it, just erase any parts affected on the layers below and merge down; so you can go from the most rudimentary of thumbnails right up to the finished drawing in one file- you can keep all the various stages or bin them as they become obsolete. I have to say, now it's actually starting to look like a proper drawing, and I'm actually enjoying the process now, I'm becoming a convert...

No comments:

Post a Comment